Thursday, July 24, 2014

Sweet Ginger (Homemade)

Making minced/puréed sweet ginger is fairly simple to do and incredibly delicious! 
I truly love the hint of sweet ginger, and I'm almost certain YOU WILL TOO!


Related Recipes:

Orange Vinaigrette Dressing

Amazing Citrus Chicken Salad


Just 1 tsp. HOMEMADE SWEET GINGER can make a "good recipe" into a 5 STAR RECIPE!

It's truly one of my MOST FAVORITE secret ingredients!

I particularly love to mince/purée it too (for convenience sake) just to have it 
ready and waiting in my fridge at all times! It keeps (almost seemingly) forever! 

I'm on my 2nd batch now, as I use it all the time (1 tsp. at a time). My 2 pints lasted beautifully just over (2 years)! The original recipe conservatively says: "Use within 1 year". 

HOMEMADE SWEET GINGER
Refrigerate: Keeps for 1-2 years!
Updated & Adapted by Sharon Anne
Yield: 2 pints

1/2 lb fresh ginger, see Notes*
4 cups water, divided
2 cups granulated sugar
or Whey Low D*,
1 Tbsp corn syrup, opt.* (I no longer add it)
Pinch of table salt

*Notes: 
1. Ginger: Best to purchase young ginger in the Spring, as that's when the roots are their most tender.
2. Whey Low: Personally, I substitute Whey Low Granular for the granulated sugar and I love that it measures and tastes just like regular sugar does!
2. Corn Syrup: The opt. corn syrup does help stop the chilled syrup from eventually crystallizing in the cold fridge. (I omit it, since I now mince/purée most my sweet ginger eventually anyway.)

Ginger Root: Peel the ginger simply by scraping with the edge of a spoon. Cut evenly into 1/8-inch slices with a mandolin. Combine with 2 cups water in a saucepan, bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer for ten minutes. Drain, reserving water. Repeat, adding 2 cups fresh water, boiling 10 more minutes; (again) reserving the water.

Ginger Syrup: Measure reserved ginger-water, add enough fresh water to equal 4 cups, and then pour back into the pot. Stir in desired sweeteners (see NOTE*) and salt. Boil until the syrup reaches 225°F for sugar (and 207°F for Whey Low). Cover and steep several hours.

Ladle sliced ginger into wide-mouth pint Mason jar(s) and fill with ginger-infused syrup. Any extra ginger syrup can be used to flavor beverages, desserts, fruit fillings and salad dressings.

Ginger Minced/Purée: Eventually, I like to use my [Cuisinart Stick Blender] inserted into a half full wide-mouth pint jar to mince/purée the ginger slices with a bit of syrup until the slices are minced fine down to a consistency that you can add HOMEMADE SWEET GINGER (just as you might) fresh ginger to any recipe (1:1). Substitute 1 tsp HOMEMADE SWEET GINGER recipes that call for 1/8 tsp ground ginger..



Refrigerate: I've done two batches now - and they've remained beautiful over 2 years (each). I use it ALL the time and never forgotten to use it! The original recipe lists only 1-year, so fairly conservative.

Syrup Uses: Drain slices and puree, reserving syrup; use puree in any recipe, as you would fresh ginger. The lovely, sweet gingery syrup can be used to flavor beverages, desserts, salad dressings and fruit fillings. 

Original Recipe Credit: Candied Ginger, by David Lebovitz
Candied Ginger: Reheat syrupy ginger slices, so the syrup drains off more easily back into the jar. Shake off any excess. Spread slices over a cooling rack to dry at least overnight, some slices may take longer. Once relatively dry, dip slices in extra granulated sugar. Allow crystallized ginger to dry completely before storing in a zip-type bag. Use crystallized ginger within a month; delicious, added to batters, breads, cookies and pastries.

Photo Credit: Foodnetwork.com (Alton Brown)

Enjoy,

Sharon Anne

Ginger Minced/Purée: This is the [Cuisinart Stick Blender] that I insert into a half full wide-mouth pint jar to mince/purée the ginger slices with a bit of syrup until the slices are minced fine down to a consistency that you can add HOMEMADE SWEET GINGER (just as you might) fresh ginger to any recipe (1:1).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many FAVORITE Recipes & Secrets...

I freely share many FAVORITE recipes & secrets. You may SHARE them too, but please CREDIT my blog... thanks! Be SURE to follow me on PINTEREST!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Nifty-Difty News...

Welcome to Share Alike Cooking!

Nifty-Difty PRODUCTS...

Nifty-Difty Pageviews: