Cream Of Whatever aka: COW SOUP MIX

In place of commercial cans of cream of chicken soup or say thickening white sauces with flour, better yet...

Instead, you can thicken soups with Instant ClearJel® powder (for safe Gluten Free source, be sure to read end of post).

There are a lot of ADVANTAGES to using Instant ClearJel® powder over using over other thickeners on the market!

1. First and foremost, Instant ClearJel® powder has ZERO "starchy" flavors! You only taste the main ingredients of your recipes,

because ICJ® has no taste. Plus, once added properly (with dry ingredients) you'll enjoy the texture, with it's lovely mouthfeel.

Whereas I've attempted gluten free cream soups with cornstarch (before), and again later with a blend of with rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, the end result tasted very starchy. I always go back to my TRIED 'N TRUE Cream Of Whatever Soup Mix!

2. Plus none of the other recipes freeze (very) successfully, if at all. I've read others who've blogged about them & state the same thing.

Whereas, Instant ClearJel® powder is specifically formulated to preform beautifully (from freezer to the oven, you don't need to thaw), just add 30 extra minutes to baking directions. If the recipe is a soup, sure thaw in the fridge, microwave or stove top.

3. The Gluten Free "flour blends", cornstarch, arrowroot, etc. require cooking to thicken any cream soup.

Instant ClearJel® powder is a cold-swelling thickener, and thickens to it's full potential within 5 minutes, once any liquid is mixed, when combined with the dry ingredients. So you can have all the dry ingredients pre-measured as a mix, and ready when you are!

4. Many other recipes REQUIRE butter or fat to thicken their cream soups, but Instant ClearJel® powder creates thick creamy soups, without requiring any fat to thicken, yet you may add it if you so desire.

I've been using ICJ® recipe below (just for convenience sake) in my own soup recipes (by nearly three decades now) long before I had to go Gluten Free, so I know how great it truly is on it's own merit!


Now-a-days... I usually make it fresh, but when I had lots of family to cook for, I would make more and kept it on hand.

Here's how I make this versatile soup mix substitute! 

Not all are Gluten Free: McCormickSpice Island brands white pepper are.

Per Serving: (before meat and/or veggies) 71 Calories; trace Fat (3.6% calories from fat); 7 g Protein; 10 g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 4 mg Cholesterol; 375  mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat.

Related Recipes:
Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
Enchilada Chicken Chowder

Important Note: I personally know of NO available safe RETAIL source for Gluten Free ClearJel repackaged powders (to date) and boy I have been faithfully looking!

All ClearJel powders are only safe from any cross-contamination, before being repackaged by wholesalers and retailers, unless certified otherwise.


However, if you must only have a Gluten Free source, please do NOT buy it from my links or anywhere else, instead comment below with your name, phone number and address, (info will be kept private). I might be able to help you get it Gluten Free, just as I have, un-repackaged and directly from the manufacture.


Instant ClearJel powder, 1 Lb. 



Enjoy More Info... I've posted more technical cooking information here,
go to: http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Instant_Clearjel%C2%AE


Enjoy,
Sharon Anne

Labels: , , , ,