- Adding INSTANT ClearJel® powder not only makes the dough easier to roll, it also helps keep the cookies soft!
- Roll the dough out onto parchment paper; cut out shapes and remove excess.
- You can even freeze cookies (covered), bake within 3 months.
- Bake frozen cookies a few minutes longer than the recipe directs.
- Store baked cookies in tins to develop and maintain that grand flavor.
by Sharon Anne
Servings: 48 small gingerbread men
4 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp Instant ClearJel® powder
1 Tbsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg, freshly ground
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup salted butter, softened
(...if using unsalted butter, add 1 tsp salt)
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup molasses
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients, set aside. Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time; beat in the molasses. Add in flour-mixture, mixing just until incorporated. The dough will be very soft, place in a plastic zip-bag and shape into a flat rectangle; chill for 1 hour. Roll 1/4-inch thick, over a floured surface, cut into shapes. Bake on with parchment-lined baking sheets, in oven 350°F for 10 minutes; cool on pans.
1 cup powdered sugar
2 1/4 tsp meringue powder (cake decorating supplies)
1 drop lemon extract
1 tsp warm water
1/4 tsp clear vanilla extract (or powdered vanilla)
1/4 tsp lemon or almond extract
Combine powdered sugar and egg whites; whip by machine. Add the lemon juice; continue beating until fluffy. Spoon into a pastry bag, fitted with a liner tip, pipe outlines, faces and buttons over the cookies.
Recipe Linked With: AtThePicketFence